If you’re anything like us, you’re probably ready for winter to be over! We’re dreaming of days when you can leave the office whilst it’s still light, the feeling of the sun on our skin and legs without tights! But our pasty limbs have been hidden away for the last 6 months and could do with a helping hand in the colour department!
We popped into our Soho boutique for a coffee and catch up with Leanne, our spray tan queen! Here are her quick and easy tips to make the most of your spray tan.
- If possible start your prep early! This is especially important if you want your spray tan to last – careful planning can help you maintain that glow for an extra 3 or 4 days. Leanne recommends using an oil free exfoliator the day before your tan. Our current fave is the Lycon Coconut & Vanilla Sugar Body Scrub. It’s oil free so won’t affect the way your tan goes on and it’s smells Ah-mazing- you’ll feel like you’ve been transported to the Caribbean!
- Continuing on the same theme… book your spray tan for at least 24 hours after any waxing appointments. You need to give your skin time to calm down and allow your pores to close, this will mean you tan goes on more evenly and you shouldn’t get any dark ‘pin prick’ marks around the hair follicle.
- You might be tempted to slather on the moisturiser before you get a spray tan (minimising dry areas does help your tan develop more evenly) but you need to refrain from using any moisturiser or body oil for the 24 hours before your spray tan. Traces of these products on your skin can affect the amount of tan that reaches your skin and leave you looking patchy!
- Now we look at what you can do post tan…. If you’re going on holiday try to find an oil free sun cream. Oil is not a friend to your tan as it can break down the DHA that we use in the tanning solution, causing it to fade quicker. Our Heliocare range is all oil free, contains anti-aging, skin boosting ingredients and is all SPF50 so provides the best protection for your skin. Find out more here >.
- Avoid shower gels that have citric acid in them as they can make your tan fade quicker. Lemons and limes (which contain citric acid) are often recommended to help fix tanning disasters as the acid works to remove the colour from the skin.
- Be careful how you sleep… ever had a spray tan and woken up with orange palms? You may not realise it but lots of people sleep with their hands between their thighs or on their stomachs… we sweat a lot in our sleep and this can mean that the tan transfers to the hands and continues to develop over night!
- Our final tip looks at how you can keep your tan looking fabulous. A gentle tan extender is a great way to keep your golden glow for longer. Just use a light layer, don’t scrub at the skin too much when you rub it in and always take care around dryer areas such as the knees and elbows. The South Seas Tahitian Tan Extender is our go to product to do the job! You can also use it on it’s own whenever you want a subtle glow.
If this post has got you yearning for a summer glow, why not book a spray at Strip Soho today – you can save £5 on the cost of of a full body spray tan when you mention this blog (you will get your full body spray for the price £25, rather than the regular price of £30 when you mention this discount at checkout). Book now >